RED DEER – Hockey Alberta is now accepting volunteer applications for the 2022 Alberta Cup, Alberta Challenge and Prospects Cup as part of the Spring Showcase. Various roles and opportunities are available, including: Off-ice Officials, Ticket Scanners, Ceremonies and Special Events, Livestreaming and Generalist.
Position areas include:
- Off-Ice Officials: Penalty box attendants, score clock operators and score keepers. Scoring will be tracked using an online game sheet application. Volunteers for this role will be required to have experience working in or volunteering in similar roles and must be willing to learn new technologies and adapt to Hockey Alberta game protocols.
- Ticket Scanners: Responsible for scanning tickets when ticket holders enter the game for the first time. Volunteers would also be responsible for placing wrist bands on ticket holders. No experience is required for this position.
- Ceremonies and Special Events: Support various elements relating to game presentation. This includes preparing and organizing items required for pre and post-game ceremonies such as awards and gifting. In addition, volunteers will be required to meet and greet delegates and participants providing them with information and guidance pertaining to their role for the ceremony. Ceremonies volunteers must be comfortable being in the public eye, as they will also be assisting on-ice with post-game awards and presentations.
- Livestreaming: On-air personalities (play-by-play, colour commentators, interview hosts), camera operators. A play-by-play announcer describes the game that’s going on as it happens. Colour commentators offer some analysis of the game. Interview hosts would conduct interviews that could air during broadcasts, or at other times during the event. On-air experience is definitely beneficial, as is knowledge of Hockey Alberta’s elite hockey leagues, AFHL and AEHL.
- Generalist: Assist in various different capacities, including packaging and distribution of volunteer apparel, printing and producing event accreditation, assisting with event VIP needs and monitoring the volunteer lounge.
The Spring Showcase includes the Alberta Cup that runs April 27 – May 1, followed by the Alberta Challenge on May 4-8 and is capped off with the Prospects Cup running May 11-15. Those interested in applying may indicate which event they would like to volunteer at, as well as preferred shifts.